Our bodies produce tears to keep our eyes lubricated, and to help remove any foreign bodies. But when the body doesn’t produce enough tears or tear drainage is affected, the result is dry eyes. Dry eyes can be troublesome and irritating. Thankfully, this condition can usually be treated quickly and effectively.
Tears are a mixture of oils, water, mucus, antibodies, and protein that form to keep your eyes comfortable. Watery eyes are characterized by an excess of tears, which can give the eyes a glassy look, and may result in tears running or dripping from the eyes.
When tears don’t provide enough moisture, you might notice:
- A gritty feeling
- Feeling like there’s something in your eye
- Blurry vision
- Light sensitivity
Some Causes of Dry Eyes
Sometimes, there’s a lack of balance in your tear-flow system. Your environment such as an air conditioner, heater, or other things around you could dry out your tear film. Other causes include:
- Overuse of technology and not taking a break from screen time.
- The natural aging process, especially menopause
- Side effects of certain drugs like antihistamines
- Diseases that affect your ability to make tears
- Problems that don’t allow your eyelids to close the way they should
Treatment for Dry Eyes
- Artificial tear drops and ointments are the most common treatment options. Many types of drops are available over the counter. No one product works for everyone, so you might have to try a few to figure out the one that’s right for you.
- A surgical procedure that plugs the tear duct
- Unclogging glands on the eyelids
- Prescription cream
The various causes of dry eyes require different treatments. Contact our office at 724-443-6767 or 724-226-0444 with any concerns you may have regarding dry eyes or any other eye condition.
About Bissell Eye Care: John D. Bissell, OD owns and operates Bissell Eye Care servicing Northern Pittsburgh and Alle-Kiski Valley regions. With two locations to treat patients, we offer evening and Saturday appointments. Bissell Eye Care provides comprehensive eye examinations for the entire family beginning as early as 6 months, ocular disease detection and treatment, eyeglasses, sunglasses, activewear, contact lenses, and low vision examinations for those with significant vision loss. We accept most types of vision and health insurance plans. For more information, visit bisselleyecare.com or call our Bakerstown Office at 724-443-6767 or Natrona Heights office at 724-226-0444.