In LASIK, “co-management” is the term commonly used to describe a situation when an optometrist provides pre-op and post-op care with an ophthalmologist providing surgery. For example, an optometrist will provide the initial LASIK, All-Laser Lasik, PRK, LASEK or any other refractive surgery evaluation, and then care for the patient after the surgery.
Some factors Bissell Eye Care takes into account to determine which surgery may be right for you:
- An overall health assessment will be conducted to determine if any systemic diseases are present that may impair your ability to heal, such as autoimmune or immunodeficiency diseases.
- Corneal health including, dry eye disease, thin corneas, irregular corneas, or corneal diseases such as, keratoconus are considered.
- Stability is determined by your eyeglass prescription.
- Analysis of your retinal health ensures there is no other ocular disease present that would prevent you from achieving 20/20 vision after laser vision correction.
- Candidacy for some refractive surgeries may be limited due to lifestyle and occupation.
Bissell Eye Care has working arrangements with eye surgeons and more specialized eye care doctors to provide many of the surgical services such as cataract surgery, laser surgery, refractive surgery, retinal detachments, retinal tears and hemorrhages. You can be assured that your eyes will be comprehensively managed by the best eye care professionals.