Tips to Choosing Eyewear Frames
Bissell Eye Care prides itself on carrying unique brands of eyewear frames. Based on your face shape here are tips we take into account when helping our patients select just the right frame. Some patients struggle in their frame selection when it’s time for new glasses. Because we offer different frames that are often found in the big box stores, patients are sometimes overwhelmed with the selection. Personalized service and fit are what our staff specializes in which in turn helps our patients look their best in the frames they select.
We carry brands such as Scott Harris, Ray-Ban, Steve Madden, Ted Baker, State, Nike, Tiffany, and many more.
- If you have a round face… look for eyeglass frames that are square or rectangular. These shapes tend to be wider than a round face and can enhance your face by making it appear slimmer and longer, adding balance to your round features.
- Avoid rimless frames and round frames. Small frames will accentuate the roundness, making your round face look even rounder.
- Eyeglasses for a square face soften the angularity and sit high on the bridge of the nose. It’s hip to be square. Oval or round eyeglasses will balance and add a thinner appearance to the angles of a square face. Think about rimless or semi-rimless frames.
- Avoid angular and boxy eyeglass frames. They will sharpen and draw attention to your angular features, making a square face appear bulky.
- If you have an oval face… frames that look best have a strong bridge, are wider than the broadest part of the face and are geometric in shape. Most styles will work with an oval face. Feel free to go bold with a funky color, texture, or frame shape. Square, trapezoid, tortoise, and rectangular – the possibilities are endless!
- Avoid eyeglasses that are overlarge and cover up more than half of your face. This frame style will throw off the natural balance and symmetry of the oval face.
- Diamond face shapes play up a narrow forehead and chin with eyeglass frames that sweep up or are wider than the cheekbones, a rimless or oval frame with a strong brow line such as cat-eyeglasses and oval frames. These frames will accentuate your cheekbones and delicate features.
- Avoid boxy and narrow frames that will accentuate the width of your cheeks, drawing attention to your narrow features rather than enhancing them.
- Heart-Shaped face look best with frames that balance the width of the forehead with the narrowness of the chin. Eyeglasses with low-set temples and bottom-heavy frame lines will add width to that narrower part of your face. Round eyeglasses or square eyeglasses with curved edges will help draw attention away from a broad, high forehead.
- Avoid any style or color of frames that draw attention to the forehead. This includes frames with decorative temples or embellished tops.
When it comes to face shape, select eyeglasses that contrast from your facial contours and bring symmetry and balance to your prominent features. Spring into a new look and select frames that best fit your facial features. Schedule an appointment to see what’s new at Bissell Eye Care.
About Bissell Eye Care: John D. Bissell, OD owns and operates Bissell Eye Care servicing Northern Pittsburgh and Alle-Kiski Valley regions. With two locations to treat patients, we offer evening and Saturday appointments. Bissell Eye Care provides comprehensive eye examinations for the entire family beginning as early as 6 months, ocular disease detection and treatment, eyeglasses, sunglasses, activewear, contact lenses, and low vision examinations for those with significant vision loss. We accept most types of vision and health insurance plans. For more information, visit bisselleyecare.com or call our Bakerstown Office at 724-443-6767 or Natrona Heights office at 724-226-0444.