DOES THE FRAME FIT?
If you are like most people when needing new glasses, you have tried on frame after frame, looking for the one that fits your face just right. It can be very overwhelming as you look at the wall of frames, trying to decide which frame you like best.
There are some ways that you can easily narrow the selection from hundreds of frames down to a select few, which will help you to find a pair that compliment your facial features.
The first part of choosing a set of eyeglass frames is to consider the shape and size of your face. Every face has a shape, round, oval, square, diamond or even heart-shaped.
Determining your facial shape will help you to narrow down the types of frames will best compliment your look.
- Round: Square or rectangular frames often tend to be wider than a round face. This can help your face to appear slimmer and longer.
- Oval: These often have a strong bridge. Avoid frames that are overlarge and cover up more than half of your face as it can throw off the symmetry of your face.
- Square: You want to look for frames that sit high on the bridge of your nose. Oval or round glasses will add a thinner appearance. Avoid boxy eyeglass frames which will make your face appear squarer.
- Diamond: You want to look for frames that sweep up and or are wider than then the cheekbones. You want to find frames that will accentuate your cheek bones.
- Heart shaped: Ideal frames are low-set templets and bottom heavy frame lines. Round eyeglasses or square eyeglasses with curved edges will help draw attention away from a broad forehead.
When looking for eyeglass frames remember that in most cases opposites attract. You want to find a balance to your face. If you find frames that are the same shape as your head they can often throw the balance off.
The next thing to consider is what type of lifestyle you lead. Are you physically active, a gamer, or looking to make a fashion statement? You need to find frames that are flexible if you are active, enhance your gaming experience if you’re a gamer, and look stylish and sophisticated if you are looking to make a fashion statement.
At Bissell Eye Care, our trained staff are always available to help you select that perfect frame that best fits your face and lifestyle.
About the author: John D. Bissell, owner of Bissell Eye Care and Tri-State Low Vision Services, offers comprehensive eye examinations for the entire family, ocular disease detection and treatment, eye glasses, sun glasses, active wear, contact lenses, and low vision examinations for those with significant vision loss. He has undergone specialized training for treatment of low vision by the International Academy of Low Vision Specialists utilizing customized telescopic eyeglasses, prisms and telescopic implants for patients who qualify. The practice accepts most types of vision and health insurance plans.